We’ve been fortunate to visit a number of schools and there are some great ideas and themes coming through, we look forward to visiting a few more schools and seeing the progress and builds during the Challenge.
As set out in the judging criteria, the final judging of the blogging is a major part of the Build-Ability Challenge along with the actual build. Your blog demonstrates the clear documentation of your project and the qualities which apprentices need to demonstrate in an apprenticeship. There’s been some great record keeping and clear documentation taking place with some of the blogs. Some schools are even contenders for the ‘Best Video’ blog prize with their creative and innovative use of video. A reminder though that there must be one blog post completed per week of the Challenge from the start period of May 4 up until August 14. We look forward to seeing and reading about your playhouses!
One aspect of the Challenge which you will be judged on is the painting and decorating of the playhouse. We are pleased to announce that Master Painters New Zealand and Dulux New Zealand have come on board as Challenge partners. A representative from Master Painters and Dulux will accompany your BCITO Skills Broker to a meeting with your school sometime in June and provide you with guidance towards painting your playhouse. This will include:
- the type of paint to use
- colour selection advice
Dulux will also be providing each Build-Ability team with paint for your playhouses! A big thanks to Dulux for this, I’m sure this will be a welcome contribution towards your projects.
But wait there’s more! Not only will Dulux be providing each school with free paint, they will also be offering a prize of $1,000 worth of paint and decorating materials to the school with the best decorated playhouse!
4 May to 14 August – At least one blog per week during this period
25 May to 4 June – Plans should be approved to begin building with your BCITO Skills Broker19 June – Builds must be started
- The supreme winning school team will be awarded a $1,000 voucher for their school’s technology department and individual prize packs for each of the team members and the ‘supreme winner’ trophy.
- People’s Choice Award – Winners will be awarded a ‘Team Shout’ (to the value of $300) and their school will get a framed certificate to display in pride of place
- The ‘Best Video Entry’ winners will receive a ‘GoPro Camera’ for their school
- Best decorated playhouse will received $1,000 worth of painting and decorating materials from Dulux
- All participants in the Challenge will receive a ‘Certificate of Participation’
Carpentry apprentices from across New Zealand are being called to show their skills and compete in the Registered Master Builders CARTERS 2017 Apprentice of the Year.
Kicking off on 10 April in Auckland, the Not Your Average Tradie Road Trip will see a group of talented BCITO apprentices spending four weeks visiting different regions, helping out community organisations, charities and schools with building woes.