How long it takes
National Certificate in Masonry (Monumental, Natural Stone & Banker Strands) Level 4 & 5 typically takes 1–3 years to complete.
How much it costs
The first year start-up fee for masonry is $885, and each year after that there is an additional annual fee of $790. You'll receive a prompt-payment discount of $100 each year if you pay before your due date. Read more about fees and payment.
What you'll learn
You'll learn the skills required by people working in the masonry industry. You have to complete the compulsory section of the qualification as well as one other strand.
The compulsory section of this qualification covers:
- polishing, packing, loading and dispatching natural stone products.
The monumental strand covers:
- designing and inscribing
- installing and restoring
- selling memorials
- knowledge of cemetery planning, layout and bylaws.
The natural stone fixtures and fittings strand covers working with stone materials, for example:
- specifying materials and methods for construction
- selecting and procuring stone
- cutting, shaping, fabricating, fitting, laying and fixing natural stone.
The banker strand covers:
- appraising and selecting stone blocks
- primary and secondary preparation of raw materials
- shaping, deep carving
- fixing and laying stone slabs
- restoring, preserving and maintaining stone features, monuments and buildings.
Need to know more?
For additional qualification information refer to the NZQA website or call us: 0800 422 486.