We can change this policy from time to time. We will publish these changes on our website. By continuing to use myBCITO, you’ll be taken to have accepted the latest version of the policy, and it’s up to you to check for any changes.
Definition of personal information
What we collect
We collect personal information:
- when you sign up for an account on the myBCITO platform
- when you enter or upload information as part of using the myBCITO platform
- as you use the myBCITO platform, in the form of statistics about how you use the platform
You agree that we may also collect personal information about you from your school and/or employer, which may include details of the work you do.
Why we collect it, and what we use it for
We collect and use your personal information:
- to set up your myBCITO account and let you use the myBCITO platform
- where you sign up as a student, to connect you to your teachers who use the myBCITO platform and to provide you with industry information.
- where you sign up as a teacher, to connect you with your students and to other teachers who use the myBCITO platform.
- where you have signed up as a student ("Rookie"), or as a career seeker (“Starter”), to connect you to potential employers.
- to assist with the fixing of technical support issues or other issues relating to the myBCITO platform
- to help us understand our users’ preferences and interests
- for our internal research and development, and to improve the myBCITO platform
- targeting our advertising, and letting you know about services offered by BCITO, new features or services offered on the myBCITO platform and industry information (you can opt out at any time)
- complying with laws in New Zealand and overseas, where they apply, and
If you don’t provide the information we ask for, this may mean that you are unable to use the myBCITO platform. If you are a Starter, this may hinder your chances to find employment through myBCITO.
Sharing your personal information
We may provide your personal information to our employees, contractors, advisors, agents, third party service providers, and to your school and/or employer where we believe this is appropriate to help us with any of the purposes outlined above. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that those recipients do not use that personal information for any other purpose.
Where you have signed up as a teacher, you acknowledge and agree that other teachers that have signed up to myBCITO (including teachers from different schools) may be able to view certain personal information you upload to the myBCITO platform, which may include feedback you have left on student work.
We can also release personal information to third parties as instructed by you and in other ways permitted by the Privacy Act 1993.
How we store your personal information
We will store any personal information we collect from you in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1993, and will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information.
- We keep your information safe by complying with the New Zealand Information Privacy Principles, as outlined in the Privacy Act 1993.
- We take reasonable steps to keep your personal information secure and to protect it from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure and from misuse, interference and loss.
- We will store your data only for so long as the information is required for the purposes for which the information may be lawfully used.
Right to access your information
Where we receive information about others from you
This means that you must take reasonable steps to ensure the individual concerned is aware of and/or consents to the various matters in this policy, including the fact that their personal information is being collected, the purposes for which that information is being collected, the intended recipients of that information, the individual's right to obtain access to that information, our identity, and how to contact us.
Any information we collect and share with third parties through cookies is aggregated (grouped together) and anonymous (when shared with third parties, it does not include personal information which is likely to identify you).
You can prevent new cookies from being installed and delete existing cookies. The procedure depends on which browser you are using. For information on how to remove cookies check your internet browser. You may be unable to make full use of the myBCITO platform unless you accept cookies.
To improve the myBCITO platform and our advertising, we may use patterns and other meaningful information gathered from website analytics tools. This may include the timing and frequency of your use of the myBCITO platform, your IP address, page requests, form requests, mouse click activity and other information that you voluntarily enter into the platform.
How to contact us
If you have any concerns about our privacy practices or want to talk to us then feel free to email us at [email protected]
You can obtain further general information about your privacy rights and privacy law from the Office of the Privacy Commissioner in New Zealand by calling their Privacy Hotline on 0800 803 909, e-mailing them at [email protected] or visiting their website at www.privacy.org.nz.