In announcing the partnership with BCITO, National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC) Chair Jenny Parker said, “I am very excited that NAWIC is partnering with BCITO for this year’s Excellence Awards. We have formed an excellent relationship with them already, and look forward to working even more with this organisation in the future.”
The Awards aim to honour and encourage women already in the construction industry as well as recognise organisations actively working to redress the gender imbalance in the sector. This is the fifth year that the New Zealand Chapter has offered these Awards.
Very few women are currently involved in the wider construction industry - Stats NZ shows that the average percentage of women employed in construction in 2017 averaged just 13.3 per cent. This ratio is slowly improving – an Auckland-based trades training organisation has “about 30 women students to 200 men” enrolled, or a 15 per cent female-male ratio.
2019 Award categories are:
- The Helen Tippett Award, the supreme award which celebrates any organisation’s or individual’s achievement in advancing the interests of women in the construction industry
- Tradeswoman of the Year, celebrating the contribution tradeswomen make to the industry
- Professional Woman of the Year, honouring women who have made a significant contribution to the sector
- Rising Star, which celebrates women who demonstrate future leadership
- Excellence in Construction Services, which honours the contribution of women in administration, sales/marketing or operational roles
- Outstanding Achievement in Design, which recognises an individual’s contribution to the design aspect of a construction project
- Student/Apprentice Excellence Award, celebrating female students/apprentices who show a high level of potential and commitment to the industry.
NAWIC encourages every woman to nominate themselves or others around them for at least one Award. “This is YOUR time to shine – go for it!” says Jenny.
2018 NAWIC Excellence Awards finalists
NAWIC are delighted to have received a significant increase in entry numbers for their fifth annual Excellence Awards, this year in partnership with BCITO. Finalists have been announced today.
The Building and Construction Industry Training Organisation (BCITO) is pleased that the Government is moving quickly to establish the first construction Centre of Excellence (CoVE).