This privacy notice sets out how the Building and Construction Industry Training Organisation Incorporated (that’s us, also referred to below as “BCITO”) will handle personal information we collect about you.
We can change this policy from time to time. We will publish these changes on our website. By continuing to use our services, you’ll be taken to have accepted the latest version of the notice, and it’s up to you to check for any changes.
If you’re not happy with changes to our privacy notice, you can close your account at any time by contacting us.
Definition of personal information
In this privacy notice, “personal information” has the same meaning as in the Privacy Act 2020 (information about an identifiable individual). Examples of personal information we may collect include your first and last names, email address, date of birth and mobile phone number. If you are a student, we may also collect your National Student Number.
What information we collect
We collect personal information about you from information you provide to us (for example on forms, applications, subscriptions, and accounts). You do not have to provide us with information but not providing information may affect the services we can provide to you.
myBCITO is a digital platform through which users can access BCITO services and materials, and actively engage with each other in an online environment. myBCITO collects and uses personal information to assist career seekers to access construction trade apprenticeships.
To improve the myBCITO platform, our website and our advertising, we may use patterns and other meaningful information gathered from website analytics tools. This may include the timing and frequency of your use of the myBCITO platform, your IP address, page requests, form requests, mouse click activity and other information that you voluntarily enter into the platform.
Why we collect it, and what we use it for
We collect and use your personal information:
- where you have signed up as a student ("Rookie"), or as a career seeker (“Starter”), to connect you to potential employers
- where you have signed up as an apprentice, to deliver the course requirements associated with the apprenticeship and monitor progress throughout
- where you sign up as a student, to connect you to your teachers and to provide you with industry information
- to set up your myBCITO account and let you use the myBCITO platform
- where you sign up as a teacher, to connect you with your students and to other teachers
- to help us understand our learners' preferences and interests
- for our internal research and development, and to improve the myBCITO platform
- to assist with the fixing of technical support issues or other issues relating to the myBCITO platform
- targeting our advertising, and letting you know about services offered by BCITO, new features or services offered on the myBCITO platform and industry information (you can opt out at any time)
- complying with laws in New Zealand and overseas, where they apply.
If you don’t provide the information we ask for, this may mean that you are unable to use BCITO services. If you are a Starter, this may hinder your chances to find employment through myBCITO.
Sharing your personal information
We may provide your personal information to our employees, contractors, advisors, agents, third-party service providers, and to your school and/or employer where we believe this is appropriate to help us with any of the purposes outlined above. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that those recipients do not use your personal information for any other purpose.
Where you have signed up as a teacher, you acknowledge and agree that other teachers that have signed up to myBCITO (including teachers from different schools) may be able to view certain personal information you upload to the myBCITO platform, which may include feedback you have left on student work.
We can also release personal information to third parties as instructed by you and in other ways permitted by the Privacy Act 2020.
How we store your information
We will store any personal information we collect from you in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020 and will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information.
- we keep your information safe by complying with the New Zealand Information Privacy Principles, as outlined in the Privacy Act 2020.
- We take reasonable steps to keep your personal information secure and to protect it from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure and from misuse, interference and loss.
- We will store your data only for so long as the information is required for the purposes for which the information may be lawfully used.
How long we store your information
We only keep your personal information for as long as it is required. We will keep your personal information:
- until we no longer have a valid reason for keeping it
- until you request us to stop storing it
- for as long as required by law, for example to meet our tax obligations
Right to access your information
You have rights under the Privacy Act 2020 to find out what personal information we hold about you, to get a copy of that information, and/or to request corrections to that information. If you would like to do any of these things or for further information about our privacy notice, please contact us at [email protected]
Where we receive information about others from you
If you provide us with personal information about someone else (for example, if you are a teacher providing us with information about your students), you must ensure that you are authorised to disclose that information to us, so that, without us taking any further steps required by data protection or privacy laws, we may collect, use and disclose such information for the purposes described in this privacy notice.
This means that you must take reasonable steps to ensure the individual concerned is aware of and/or consents to the various matters in this notice, including the fact that their personal information is being collected, the purposes for which that information is being collected, the intended recipients of that information, the individual's right to obtain access to that information, our identity, and how to contact us.
How to contact us
If you have would like to make a complaint or have any concerns about our privacy practices, then feel free to email our privacy officer.
You can obtain further general information about your privacy rights or make a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner in New Zealand by calling their Privacy Hotline on 0800 803 909, emailing them at [email protected] or visiting their website.
This website and all its content is copyright to BCITO. Information may only be used as permitted under the Copyright Act 1994. If you wish to reproduce any part of this website, you will need to obtain written permission.
28 September 2017